Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

HOW TO GET GLOWY HEALTHY-LOOKING SKIN


Over the past years, I've tried countless products to achieve clear skin. Topical treatments were always something I went to. Harsh scrubs and stinging toners were a part of my every day skin routine. 
A few months ago, however, I stumbled upon a video which opened my eyes and made me realize what I was doing wrong. I changed up my routine completely and the results have been wonderful. 

I'm going to be sharing with you my Top 10 tips and tricks for getting smoother glowier skin.

1. Don't use intense cleansers.
I used to always use anything that seemed like it would be really potent and make my skin feel super tight. I thought the tighter the skin, the better. I was proved so so wrong once I went to natural soaps. I use a black deep cleansing soap from Nurme Seep to remove my makeup and give my skin a refresh in the mornings. Natural ingredient soaps are great, they remove all traces of makeup yet leave the skin feeling soft.

2. Apple Cider Vinegar
I use apple cider vinegar as a toner after I wash my face. Diluted with water, it will restore the pH levels of your skin that cleansing might've disrupted. It leaves the skin looking super smooth, I sometimes even use it before I apply my makeup as it makes my pores look smaller. It is also great for under the skin type of spots. I just dip a Q-tip into the vinegar and apply it on the spot. No diluting needed. The only bad thing about it is the vinegary scent so I tend to just use it at night.


3. The Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate
This is hands down the best skin product I've ever used. I apply 3 drops of this serum after washing and toning my face and before applying avocado oil. It has worked wonders for my skin.

4.  Try Avocado Oil or Coconut Oil as a moisturizer
I use cold pressed avocado oil as a moisturizer at night time. Since it's an oil, it takes a bit longer to sink into the skin, making it the perfect nighttime treat for your skin. When you wake up, your skin will feel amazing!

5. Be gentle. 
Over exfoliating is something a lot of us probably do. We want our skin to be squeaky clean so we go to harsh exfoliaters. This actually strips the skin of its protective barrier and causes dehydration of the skin. You end up with red, dry, tight skin. You should only exfoliate about 2-3 times a week. I use the Clarisonic but exfoliating cloths are great aswell. 

6. Drink water
I always heard people saying that you should drink more water, but I never really believed in it. Since I started drinking 2-3 litres of water every day, however, I have noticed a change in my skin. Squeezing a bit of lemon juice into your water will make it taste extra good and also help flush the toxins out.

7. Replenish your body with natural vitamins
Vegetables and fruit are the best sources of vitamins to help your skin out. I eat a mango every morning, as it tastes amazing and also has loads of health benefits. Try eating less fatty and sugary foods and you will notice a huge difference.

8. Keep things sanitary.
Anything that touches your face from your hands to your phone to your pillow cases - wash them as often as you possibly can. Eventhough we can't see the bacteria, doesn't mean it's not there.

9. Try using less hair products/keep you hair up more often.
I used to have a fringe and I didn't realize it was causing me to break out. Since growing my fringe out, my forehead has cleared up a ton. Hair products are meant for the hair but often end up on the face aswell. This can irritate the skin and cause you to break out.

10. Use your makeup wisely.
Learn how to make your skin look good without piling on layers of makeup. I did a blog post about my current makeup routine, where I talked about my foundation routine. Check that out for great products for covering redness and blemishes, without having to cake stuff on.

Most importantly - stay positive. Stress is a major factor aswell and you don't want to be worrying about your skin too much. In the end you will figure out what works best for you. 

I hope this post gave you some new ideas to try out!

No comments:

Post a Comment